Holly and Brian talk about the comics

Holly Marie Combs, Brian Krause and Shannen Doherty were at the Charmed Panel at Austin Comic Con some days ago and a fan asked them about the Charmed Comics. Below i have made a transcript of the discussion. The sound quality of the video is not the best and there are some places i could not hear what was said (i marked those as ???).

Source Video: Charmed panel 10042014 pt 2 (Austin Comic Con) - at 4:00

• Fan: What do you think of the comic continuation published by Zenescope?
  • Holly: Hmm…  Its covers are beautiful. Inside I’m really not sure who’s who. It’s just a little…(???). And... (???) of the boobs. I mean, I’m not hating those but… It’s interesting.
  • Shannen: (???)
  • Brian to Shannen: You haven’t seen, I’m a stud in that comic book!
  • Holly: As i said, it’s hard to tell who’s who. I meant Julian… (???)
  • Presenter: I’m going to have to check those out.
  • Holly: Yeah, the covers are beautiful.
  • Shannen: I’m going to have to check them out, too.
  • Holly: Some of the covers are my favorite artwork from the show.
Comments: 28 (Discussion closed)

Lee (Friday, 10 October 2014 05:33)

hmm interesting, nice to see Shannen is checking them out. Of course they wouldn't answer why Shannen's likeness is not used, but anyways I'd love to know what she think of her character Prue.

She is written good in the comics, regardless what she looks like.

pruesthebest (Friday, 10 October 2014 16:29)

I wished they had asked her why isn't her likeness not used in the comics... like i said before, she has been appearing at these conventions and is very involved... why was she not approached about using her likeness is what i'm still not understanding or is it something deeper than that???

P4fan4ever (Friday, 10 October 2014 23:39)

I think it has to do with money- if I remember correctly brad kern went on record and said the reason why she wasn't in the finale was because they didn't have the money to afford her- and when the prue/patience storyline was brought up to holly at another panel holly made a joke that the writers were crafty by putting prue into the body of someone they didn't have to pay to use their likeness

Mia (Saturday, 11 October 2014 02:36)

It must be about money, because come on, I really doubt if they seriously asked her she would reject them now. Didn't shannen admit on twitter that she was never approached, and they just had to ask.

But about the final, didn't shannen say she was asked but declined to appear in the final because she didn't like what they wrote for Prue. So either someone's lying. But then again, in a way if its true, Brad Kern isn't completely in the wrong, when he said he didn't bother asking, maybe he didn't want to go out and say he tried to bring her back, but failed. But money was probably the huge issue.

pruesthebest (Saturday, 11 October 2014 03:59)

Oh, so this means even if she were apart of the show for 3 seasons, they still can't draw her or it will result in them having to pay her. So are the other actors/actresses getting paid for their likenesses to be used???

p4fan4ever (Saturday, 11 October 2014 06:24)

around 15:56

p4fan4ever (Saturday, 11 October 2014 06:54)

he says financial

TomTom (Saturday, 11 October 2014 13:11)

I think the reasons of Shannens leaving, the conflicts between her and Alyssa, the fact that her image has never used again after season 3 and all the other events about Shannen will be the biggest mystery in "Charmed"-Universe forever.
    There are SO different statements and disputed answers... And a dash of lies I bet.
    I have some "Charmed" magazines and all reports say something different.
    In a german magazine it says that Brad Kern considered to ask Shannen to take a guest role in season 8 finale but he came to the decision not to ask her, because this episode would be her episode. And this would be unfair 'cause the other actors did this job for a longer time.
    An italian magazine says that Shannen was asked but she said "no".
    And in some french and american reports the money-reason is listed...

The truth will never be revealed I think...

Lee (Saturday, 11 October 2014 15:25)

I agree we may never know the real truth. But I think from what I see, money is a huge part of it, Shannen was a lead star for 3 seasons, so her pay would be alot if she did return.

Had WB and the final season of Charmed not gotten a budget cut, and they could afford Shannen, I'd imagine had Shannen and Brad come to a good place, Shannen would of returned, they would of had Leo for 22 episodes, and Prue back for just 10, if WB didn't force them with Billie, they would close the show as it should have with all four sisters, maybe even having Prue being glamored and living another life like the comics, but we get to see Prue.

What could of been, I'm certain thats what they wanted to do, but they couldn't afford Shannen and the WB made huge cuts for the final season. So she never could return.

p3nathan (Saturday, 11 October 2014 15:50)

The way I heard it was that Brad actually did ask her to come back for the finale, but Shannen declined because she didn't like what they planned to do with her character... but then Brad contradicted this in many interviews and the DVD commentary. I wish they'd just clear it up. I don't understand why they're all still so secretive about it. It's probably not even that big a deal! Then again, they probably get more publicity by keeping everyone guessing; the media can spin it whichever way they want that way.

I also heard a rumour that she was asked to appear in season 6. No idea if there is any truth to this... but I think the idea was that Prue would appear to Piper in the season 6 finale, when Piper was hemorrhaging, to tell Piper it's not her time and to inform/comfort her about adult Chris.

pruesthebest (Saturday, 11 October 2014 16:53)

What a awful way to comeback... i wouldn't have accepted that. Paige was a cheap imitation of prue and one of the worst out of all four witches... and if the show was about their bond as sisters, why then did piper only shed tears for phoebe in the last episode? She cared nothing for paige being dead... i will always love the original charmed ones better.

Gc (Saturday, 11 October 2014 17:34)

There are a lot of moments in the last five seasons where its like "Prue should be here" Hell Hath No Fury where Piper is crying, the Brain Drain episode (not the real Prue but the Source's Prue), the Season 4 finale she wasn't evened mentioned and that ticked me off, the seasOn five episode with Barbas would have been a great scene if Barbas made Prue appear to taunt Paige only for Paige to find a note in the BOS in the end of the epi from Prue...which I've never understood why that never happened anyway. When Chris is dying I felt Prue should have been there to comfort him. In seventh year witch when Piper asks for help, it should have been Cole AND Prue who appeared. And of course the finale when Patty asks "where's Prue"

p4fan4ever (Saturday, 11 October 2014 17:41)

what did brad say in the dvd extras- i dont remember him mentioning anything about shannen not being asked back

AaRoN89 (Saturday, 11 October 2014 20:22)

If in the final episode when Piper returns to the past with the ring, rather than see herself as a child being comforted by her grandmother, it would have been she and Prue which had kept the conversation, I would have been more than satisfied.
    They could have done much to keep alive the spirit of Prue throughout the series as it was in the fourth season, but the worst thing they could do is forget her memory as if she had never existed. I think in the final episode she had to be, even using the actress who played her as a child. Prue could have been in many ways, even reincarnating in one of the descendants of her sisters, remembering that their souls have always been together.
    When I saw that the screenwriters had given to the character of Billie the power of telekinesis, I thought it was a memorial of Prue, as bring together the spirit of Prue with her sisters, and I thought this character would be a blast with this power, making hand movements as Prue used to do, like bring her remember to the show, but this was not so... Billie does not look anything like Prue, nor to her essence.
    I do not think it's about money, because money is sought from anywhere, removing secundary characters, seeking alternatives... In other films and series have existed very good frames with low budget. I think it is rather a lack of real interest, real will and real communication. I remember when Alyssa was asked the reason for the departure of Shannen from the show and she said one absurdity of her relationship with Holly since high school ... If that had been the reason, you are not without wanting to know anything about your co-star for years, nor say in an interview it will be a great new beginning when the fourth season was premiered, or the apparent tightness of Shannen when she is asked for you ... I really do looks like a real teasing, a huge lack of honesty and an insult to the intelligence of the fans, especially when they ask you directly. I can understand that this is a thing of the past and the past is past, but specially for this reason, I also think people mature, grow and evolve and you can forget all lived and move forward, start from scratch, especially when it is clear that is more what unites Shannen and Charmed, than their differences. Anyway, I'm still waiting to see the four protagonists of the show together in a conference and although Shannen and Alyssa have been written each other through twitter, it looks that see them together physically is a challenge. As much as they say to do a movie together, that will be difficult. I hope someday they can resolve their differences and let to make us suffer.

Julie (Saturday, 11 October 2014 21:58)

Was Julian supposed to come back for the finale but couldn't make it cause he was doing the Fantastic 4 sequel I guess it was conflicting with that.

p3nathan (Sunday, 12 October 2014 00:10)

@pruesthebest-
    I strongly disagree that Paige was a cheap imitation of Prue; I don't think she was an imitation at all. That's one of the things I liked about the way they brought Paige in... she clearly wasn't meant to be Prue 2.0; she was her own character who developed in her own way. I rarely compare her to Prue. If I compare anyone to Prue, it's usually Piper; just comparing how each approached the leadership role. Paige and Prue are very different people and always have been.

@P4fan4ever- I’ll try and find where abouts in the commentary it was said… but he basically just says what has been mentioned here already. People had asked about Prue and he said the reasons for not having her back were 1) Budget made it impossible and 2) It would have made the episode Prue-centric which would have been unfair to the actors who had been in the show for the majority.

Alice (Sunday, 12 October 2014 02:40)

I always thought Chris looked more like Prue's son than Piper,s he had her powers, and looked way more like Shannen than Holly. He could easily pass off as Prue's son.

PrueFan45 (Sunday, 12 October 2014 02:45)

@p3nathan

Interesting so budget couldn't bring Shannen back, because she would cost way more than any returning character. Making it Prue-centric, okay, well then whats the excuse for not bringing her back anytime earlier in the season, so the focus wasn't forced.

I hated the time travel in the final, that Piper, Grams and Patty can make up the power of three. How is that possible. If it was Piper, Prue from the past, and Patty pregnant with Phoebe or Paige, then that would of made more sense.

matteo (Sunday, 12 October 2014 15:32)

I've always loved Shannen and her character; I don't agree with the one who says that Paige was an imitation of Prue... They're totally different, in a lots things. Anyway, I do agree that if she had appeared on the last episode it would have been a Prue's centric one; what do I don't like about Shannen is that she didn't give her OK to let Zanescope use her likeness, but I don't feel rage or something like that.
    That's it and we will continue love this show till the end (as far as I'm concerned) =)

Pavel Ana (Sunday, 12 October 2014 15:51)

I wonder why is Shannen saying that Zenescope did not ask her about
    her likeness because they released a statement long time ago in
    which they were saying that she did not want her likeness to be
    used in the comics. It is strange because she seems opened to the
    idea. I also don't agree that Paige was an imitation of Prue. It
    is true Charmed was much better in my opinion when Prue was in it
    but Paige was and is a huge contribution to the Charmed universe.
    Anyway I like that Prue is back in the comics and I honestly don't
    care how she looks like, I care that her coming back was not forced
    and that the story is interesting.

Paula (Monday, 13 October 2014 04:24)

Ditto, like its a comic, does it really matter what she looks like or drawn, its not a tv show with Prue played by another actress. The story and writing is more important. I'm just happy Prue is back and reunited with her sisters. Thats what matters the most right.

p3nathan (Monday, 13 October 2014 14:19)

Absolutely. At the end of the day, they didn't have to bring her back at all. They could have just tip toed around it like they did in the show. But then people really wouldn't have been happy... as we saw from many fans when Prue wasn't with the other Warrens in season 9's second arc. We have all four sisters in Charmed and it's awesome!

Kelly (Monday, 13 October 2014 15:00)

I agree with the above people, I'm so so happy Prue is back with her sisters. I literally screamed of joy. That really brought things full circle, over how mad I was at the final not having Prue. I'm so blessed, shes back and around. And I'm loving it, regardless what she looks like.

Lets not forget, Prue was a blonde in the alternate future. So I guess Prue was always suppose to return in 2009 and as a blonde. So that future actually changed, but Prue was always suppose to be in 2009 still. lol

TomTom (Monday, 13 October 2014 16:08)

Oh, I don't think that Paige is an imitation of Prue. At first she tries to be like her, but exact this shows, that she is different.
    They share some similarities like the doubt about Cole, the trust in their instincts and the wish of a self-dependent life. But overall they're two very different characters with own stories and lifes.
    Every sister could be described with totally different adjectives and buzzwords.
    I think the persons who's as much as Prue is the grown up Chris. From head to toe he's a lot like her.

pruesthebest (Monday, 13 October 2014 16:44)

But that's what i meant @tomtom... when season 4 began it seemed as though the writers were trying to make paige the new prue. Piper calls her "superwitch" which she is not. That's prues title. Also, she told them both that they made her a witch or even when she said she was charmed. That irritated me about her character. And turned me off from charmed.

TomTom (Monday, 13 October 2014 17:45)

Hm... I can't remind the situation where Piper reffers to Paige as "superwitch"... Which scene is it? I only know that Paige reffers to Prue as this.
    At first it was planned to recast Prue with a new actress before they decided to develop a new character. Maybe some particles of this thinking are present in some scenes. Even I don't see them often...
    But in my opinion Paige is very different. In season 4 she's nearly the absolute opposite of Prue in season 1...

Sam (Tuesday, 14 October 2014)

@TomTom

If they did recast Prue, I expect the story will go the way of Patience, Prue takes over the body of another witch, rather than just a simple recast and pretending shes Prue and all. Creatively they would of done that. But I'm glad they didn't recast, because I cant accept two actors playing Prue, a comic is different, its not live TV, and I never care for likeness in a comic.

pruesthebest (Sunday, 07 December 2014 21:29)

When paige bounded her past lifes power @tomtom and @sam i agree but i will say this, do you think tiffany amber theissan would of been good, if she accepted the role of prue halliwell?