Interview with Pat Shand - Charmed Season 10 #8 and #9 (SPOILERS)

Charmed #9 is out today!

Under the cut you can read my interview with Pat Shand talking about the events of both #8 and #9!

Please note that the interview contains spoilers.

Click "Read More" below to continue.

INTERVIEW

CHARMED COMIC FAN 10: Let’s start with #8. Cole and Prue being together never happened and you make it pretty clear with this issue. Even the small mention from Fritz in #1 started long debates between the fans. Plotting the season did you ever consider of “making the ship canon” at all?

PAT SHAND: While I did really dig Prue’s interactions with Cole, Fritz’ speculation was there for two reasons… one, to get you wondering about a rift between Prue and the sisters and, two, the more devious reason: I knew the speculation would be rampant, and I was excited to see that. The story I pitched, though, was basically unchanged from my initial outline that I wrote in 2012 to the story you saw published.

CCF: Tyler’s new power is pretty powerful and he is an Archai, a race that was considered extinct. Will we find out more about Tyler’s lineage, maybe who his biological parents are?

PAT: No, nothing like that. Archais are closely related to firestarters, so when Tyler emerges as an Archai, he’s the first of his kind since they were made extinct. His parentage doesn’t have anything to do with that.

CCF: The biggest mystery in the season so far; why the Charmed Ones are avoiding any interaction with Prue is revealed. While Prue isn’t a Charmed One anymore, is what’s happening to the sisters when they meet or even talk about her connected to Melinda Warren’s prophecy and the 4 sisters paradox we saw in Season 9?

PAT: Nah, I don’t want to repeat the storylines Paul already did so well. This is a far different thing.

CCF: The future of the Charmed Ones as we saw in “Forever Charmed” is now in danger. From the beginning of the comics everyone knew who couldn’t die and when they couldn’t die because of the finale flash forwards. Now no one is safe. Can you talk to us about your decision to change this and how important it is for the story the readers not to have something big like the main characters' safety set in stone?

PAT: “Forever Charmed,” even though the characters themselves didn’t know about what fans were privy to, was a safety net – and that undermines narrative tension. I wanted the story to be more anything goes, which is why we introduced the Ancient Athame in the first arc. I want to pull off something that a show with so many resurrections shouldn’t be able to do so late in the game – I want the threats to matter. The danger needs to be real. That’s also why I killed Cole in the first arc. It was intended as the ultimate Cole story, but it’s no secret that I – despite what a faction of the fandom thinks, for whatever reason – think Cole is the best character. His loss permeates the season. Which makes me smile at the complaints, because the people mad at me for killing Cole has no idea that this season, even in his absence, is the most Cole-centric season, maybe ever.

CCF: Coop and Henry start their mission to save Benjamin Turner. They, especially Coop, have been described as “boring” or “not interesting enough” and this is probably because of how fast they were introduced in the final season with not enough time to be developed. Is one of your goals this season to make them more intriguing and stand out more than just the husbands of the Charmed Ones?

PAT: Yeah, they have to justify their presences. The kids, I can’t justify each of them, so they’re taking a background role. But a big part of especially this second arc is me trying to figure out why two of the most powerful women in the world are in love with these two. They must be something special, right?

CCF: Entering issue #9. Kyra is back! Thank you so much that you made it so that Kyra was never actually vanquished. I still remember my reaction the first time I saw her being vanquished and it was not a good one! I couldn’t accept it. As a fan back then, was your reaction similar?

PAT: I assumed they’d bring her back eventually. It seemed like a weird choice to have such a strong character written off like that. And Charisma is fantastic, so I didn’t think they’d so easily get rid of the character. I mean, with Billie, fans fought against the idea of her being – essentially – the fourth main character… but a big part of me thinks that, had that be Kyra in that role, they would’ve more easily accepted a non-Charmed One getting all that screen time.

CCF: You are a fan of Charisma Carpenter. How fun is it writing for her and her character?

PAT: Her resurrection was totally selfish. I wanted to write for Charisma, so I brought back Kyra. Charisma is such a great actress because her voice is so specific, in the way that she is able to give characters a very unique rhythm to their dialogue. It makes Kyra a blast – and super easy – to write, whereas other characters can be trickier. Leo, Kyra, Prue, Cole, and Paige come easily. The rest take a lot of honing and revision.

CCF: Prue never met or had any interaction with Kyra but she chose to summon her for help. Did she consider her only because she is a Seer with valuable knowledge or is there something more going on?

PAT: Through her connection to both the ultimate purity and the ultimate dark, Prue was able to essentially ‘feel’ through all of the seers in all of history to see who could best tell her what’s the deal. She can essentially ‘see’ anything that happened to her sisters, or anyone magic, from the start of time to now.

CCF: About the tattoos we saw in previous issues. Based on this issue I think it is safe (correct me if I am off) to assume that the messages “She who sees will rise” means Kyra and “One will die and one will rise” means Cole and Kyra. That leaves the “Stay away from her” message. Is this also meant for Kyra or for someone else?

PAT: Yes and yes. You’ll understand after “The Reason.”

CCF: Can you give us some background on Belthazor’s statue and the fact that the other half of Benjamin’s soul was guarded there?

PAT: I would’ve liked to have more time to get into that, but I couldn’t give the boys THAT much screen time at the expense of the sisters, so I have to keep it moving and only give the essential information. Anyone could really infer what’s going on there as much as me, but here’s my take – Belthazor is a god among demons, worshipped by so many of the vanquished… so because vanquished demons don’t have shit else to do, they built a statue. Putting Ben Turner’s soul there is another big connection to the ‘demon’ they worship.

CCF: Tyler’s powers chose the worst timing not to work. Is this because of him overusing them or because of inexperience?

PAT: Both!

CCF: Not only Benjamin’s but a piece of my soul I think was also crushed when I saw the very last panel. Things are definitely not going well for the Turners this season. In the #10 cover Benjamin is featured. Will we see a what-if or alternative reality scenario play out?

PAT: No what-ifs at all, everything in #10 happens in the present, ‘true’ timeline. However, I will say that a certain aspect of the cover for that issue is metaphoric… and readers will know which part when they see, but we’ll cover that for that issue.

CCF: Thank you so much, Pat!

PAT: Thanks! One thing that I do want to mention, because it might be a disappointment. #9 is coming out early but, because of publishing schedule reasons that won’t really make sense without explaining a bunch of stuff no one cares about, #10 will come out a few weeks later than Previews initially said. So we’ve got #9 early and #10 late, which will kind of give us less of a gap between #10 and #11, at least!

*Previews have now changed the release date of Charmed Season 10 #10 to July 22, 2015.

Miia (Wednesday, 10 June 2015 21:41)

I'm very impressed by all details of season 10 so far. But now, after reading this interview, I've got a bad feeling. Dunno... suddenly I have the fear that all this changes will destroy Charmed as we know it. That would be shit.

GC (Thursday, 11 June 2015 00:55)

Me too. Like "stay away from her" not knowing until "The Reason" which is the season (series?) finale?! That casts a dark aura over the rest of the issues. I'm worried about what Pat will do with Prue in the end. Will Kyra destroy her in a quest for ultimate power? Paul pulled Prue from limbo and placed her beyond life and death, Pat seems determined to pull her back into the mix and now it's like "will she live, will she die?"

Barron (Thursday, 11 June 2015 01:11)

I'm shocked about this season. So the flash forwards we saw are basically changed and may or may not happen. If that's the case, then even the Charmed Ones themselves aren't safe and their children. What if Phoebe never gives birth to her third child because of Coop's death or she dies herself?

Nina (Thursday, 11 June 2015 01:18)

The first arc was great (action, family, Coles death, Demons) but now its really boring. The One-shot, 8 and 9 were so pointless in my opinion! This Season so far isn't great i hope will be better in the future....

Scott21 (Thursday, 11 June 2015 09:23)

Finally Pat said what I've been saying for years... in stead of annoying billie they should have used Kyra. The season 8 wouldn't be so hard to watch. And I think this season is as good as season 3 or 4

TomTom (Thursday, 11 June 2015 12:34)

@Scott21
    Same here! In my opinion the eighth season is totally underestimated! It finally brought back the dark feeling of season 3 and 4, which was introduced in season 7 bit for bit already. But the weakpoint of this season is Billie. I don't hate her, but I don't love her too. She can be incredible annoying (especially with her german voice ^^). Kyra would have been a great choice as new cast member. :/

Bigbear (Thursday, 11 June 2015 15:14)

Season 8's problem wasn't Billie character. The idea of Billie and Christy on paper was great (a set of sisters groomed by evil to be the end of the Charmed Ones and equally determined to win because of their sisterhood.. come on, it's a great way to end a series that was always about sisters and their bond), it just sucked on-screen because of a bad case of miscasting (Kaley Cuoco might be great at comedy, but she just wasn't the right choice for Charmed) and a bad bad bad case of network meddling. Even if they tried to bring back Kyra in the main cast, the network would have never gone with it.

p3nathan (Thursday, 11 June 2015 15:34)

I agree that the idea of witch sisters vs. witch sisters for the final season was a great idea, but yeah the execution sucked. We didn't really get time to delve into Billie and Christy's sisterly relationship that much with her being brought in later, so when it comes to Billie siding with her, she just ends up looking stupid. We didn't even see the scene where Billie and Christy are finally reunited; Billie just walks into the cave, says "Christy?" and then next episode Christy is cleaned up and at the Manor. You'd think with a story that hinges so much on these two being reunited sisters, that might have been a worthwhile scene to include o_O
    We're supposed to accept that Billie would trust and stand by her despite being surrounded by demon helpers and not having seen her for years... but we were given very little emotional weight or evidence of their relationship to base that on.

Scott21 (Thursday, 11 June 2015 16:21)

I still think that they didn't want to do the Christy storyline and instead of founding out Billie has a sister we would realized in episode 6 that Billie is the resurrected Prue (like Patience) and the triad turned her against her own sisters over the years with torture, and maybe Phoebe would have felt too much guilt over she wasnt there when Shax killed Prue and a bit help of dark magic the triad and Prue turned Phoebe evil too, and thats why they needed to freeze Leo, because otherwise Piper would NEVER fought against their sister just if that would be the only way to get back her son's father. And the power of four would have been the ultimate power, not two stranger little girl (billie and christy). Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm refused to accept that this mess was their plan for the FINAL season. In stead of the strangers the original four sisters should have been there (even without Shannen if she said no) in the final battle, and then after the explosion Piper would have gone back in time and saved Prue for the Triad/or Shax. BUT this is the past I didn't like season 8 at all, but Pat is doing a great job with season 10 that's all it matters, because (at least for me) he is correcting the mistakes that the creators of the show or the network had made in the past

cyma (Thursday, 11 June 2015 21:11)

So I was thinking of ways to make Season 8 better without excluding Billie and Christy and I came up with something crazy We saw how that Nanny demon in Desperate Housewitches episode easily resurrected the Source using Wyatt. So how about instead of that, Elizabeth Turner does the same? But she does that two years ago or so when Wyatt finds himself lost in the Underworld thanks to one random demon or another. But ofcourse Elizabeth instead of resurrecting the Half-face Source, resurrects her grandson. The unborn fetus which exploded with the Seer. Let’s just say he comes back all grown-up about Cole’s age. Still haven’t figured how to explain that. Maybe she wants to bring back Cole but spell backfires and bring back her fully grown grandson instead?

The whole demons being afraid of the Triad didn’t make sense. I mean seriously these guys were vanquished easily by a still bleeding Cole. Now everyone being afraid of Phoetus enough to kill each other rather than reveal his identity to the Charmed Ones make sense.

As for how Billy and Christy fall into everything, I think the best way to explain the whole Ultimate Power thing is if these two were Phoebe’s son’s daughters who were also quickly somehow grown-up. Which would make them Phoebe’s granddaughters 0.0

So Charmed Ones against Phoebe’s son, granddaughters and mother-in-law makes season 8 much better than….whatever the we got. I wouldn’t even mind Phoebe’s insane quest to find the father of her future daughter being part in season 8 now. Not when her son is watching and probably seething at her actions.

That’s all I’ve figured out for now :-)

Shelby9291 (Friday, 12 June 2015 06:34)

I honestly liked Billie:s character in season 8. It allowed us to see more of a teacher side of the charmed ones and allowed them to show the ways of the craft. Something that they were denied at the beginning of the series.
    I dont like that the network forced them to put Christy Henry and Coop in with only one season of development. Now dont get me wrong I like Henry and Coop alot but I think they should have at least brought their characters in earlier in the series to allow them to have time to grow and allow the relationships more time to develop naturally.
    If I could have made some changes I would have Coop appeared in the episode where the first cupid appeared and brought him back in the next season as a recurring character possible main character
    For Henry I would have had him be in the Kyle was in. I didn't like Kyle all that much.
    And for The last half of season 7 I would have introduced Billie and Christy's characters so that people can start to open up to them. With the last episode of Season 7 being the episode where Billie finds her sister.
    Season 8 would have been about more of Christy trying to get Billie on her side and going against the Charmed Ones with the final episode ending the way it did, but with Christy alive and stripped of her powers for hers and others safety.

Luke (Saturday, 13 June 2015 06:45)

Had Billie been a recurring character introduced in season 5, 6 or 7, then become a main in season 8 with a bigger role. I think it could of worked, than throwing her and introduced in the final season.

Aaron_89 (Saturday, 13 June 2015 17:52)

For me, the problem after the fourth season was the inability to continue deepening the depth of the characters. They gave Phoebe insubstantial boyfriends to then introduce to Coop and Henry, for Paige, fastly with shoehorn, with the idea that marriage and three children for each one was the idea of a happy ending. I fully understand that in this season the kids are in the background because it is impossible to delve into all of them. Personally, the Wyatt issue intrigued me at first but I soon lost interest and I neither was a big fan of the concept of the school of magic. It did not consolidate with the history of charmed. But for taste, colors.
    Billie was a character that I liked. She refreshed, in my I feel of course, the whole plot line that had been developed. I think from the very beginning, only she must have been the ultimate power, without putting any sister. Billie did not need telekinesis. From the beginning, she only had to have developed the power of projection and this have evolved rapidly over the season. An unlimited power that it does and manifests anything she wants, I can only imagine the huge range capability when it evolves. Limitlessness. And I think the writers did very well in giving her this power but not in how to develop it and see its great potential against the Charmed Ones.
    From season 8, I would remove the winks of Sex and the City or Desperate Housewives, falling into overacted clichés about relationships and the concept of motherhood that had nothing to do with Charmed. Definitely, these final seasons had not the essence of seasons that I loved so much as 3 or 4.
    I think comic writers are bringing that back. Depth and development, darkness, drama, intelligent humor, the intrigue of what will happen next..? Good work, keep it up.

Julie (Monday, 15 June 2015 20:56)

I don't understand why you can't manipulate reality and bring Cole back cause if that's what Henry and Coop are trying to do with Tyler's new power to bring Benjamin back then why can't you do the same with Cole? Why does Cole always get the short end of the stick? No wonder you're not getting enough readers.

Coop will never be interesting in my eyes no matter what Pat does with him.

spiros (Tuesday, 16 June 2015 14:56)

Because Cole doesn't exist anymore enough already! there was no point for Cole to exist either anymore and I hardly think that's the reason ththe comics are not as famous..it's just that they are comics..most adults don't read the, also they are not free like the TV show was and of course it's not the same as watching a TV show with real people even though the art is great (much more better than season 9) I don't think comics can compete with TV shows in general but hey! it was so nice of you to rub it in their faces I mean from what I know pat was a big fan of the show so it must feel very nice to read comments like that when you are doing something you like (and very well I might add)

spiros (Tuesday, 16 June 2015 15:10)

OK my only problem with this issue is destroying Benjamin's soul ( that's what happened right?) he was a good person who even if his soul survived it's still trapped in the demonic wasteland that not very charmed like..also why bring something that almost everyone has forgotten just to destroy it again?unless the soul wasn't supposed to be a plot point but a way for the plot to move along..maybe it has something to do with Tyler or with Paige and Henry or the demons that shouldn't exist in the demonic wasteland

Pat Shand (Tuesday, 16 June 2015 21:19)

I totally appreciate the defense, Spiros, but don't worry about me. I'm taking a strict "don't feed the trolls" policy.

And while I don't want to spoil anything, Ben's soul definitely wasn't destroyed. There is only one way to destroy a soul, and that weapon is in Prue's possession.

Shelby9291 (Wednesday, 17 June 2015 10:10)

That makes me wonder then since Pat said that if Benjamin's soul wasn't destroyed I wonder if since one of the soul orbs were damaged would it change who he is. Kinda like when someone has an injury to their head and have brain damage it can effect or even change who they are as a person.

spiros (Wednesday, 17 June 2015 18:35)

hmm mysterious..well this is getting better and better! I cant wait :) aI just wish you had taken over from season 5-6 and that charmed had an unlimited budget :P this is going to be amazing :)

P.S I am sorry if my comments seem a bit critical and/or offensive.. it was exam season and i have been Piper-cranky because exams here in Greece are even worse than our economy

Julie (Monday, 29 June 2015 23:31)

I still say Manipulating reality can work cause you can can negate,distort or rewrite the laws of physics,reshape matter,bend space and even completely recreate reality. Pat is just lazy writer.

Barron (Sunday, 05 July 2015 23:25)

It's true Pat can do this. Manipulating reality could work BUT Pat is trying to get across the idea that no one is safe this season and that souls can be destroyed. I don't like that he used Cole to get the message through because he could've used other characters like Elise or Billie or even one of the husbands. BUT he wanted to use Cole. Just have to accept it because that's what he wants to do.

online clairvoyants (Monday, 14 November 2016 13:29)

harmonious

seks linia (Monday, 14 November 2016 15:57)

interplanetary

sex telefon 24/7 (Monday, 14 November 2016 18:35)

misconceptions

sex linie (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 14:25)

naprzyjmy sekstelefon

Liebeszauber (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 16:39)

permits

Zobacz (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 21:52)

hialuronowy

info (Wednesday, 16 November 2016 15:43)

idiolektalny

miłosne zaklęcia (Thursday, 17 November 2016 12:59)

jebać

anonse kobiet (Thursday, 17 November 2016 17:15)

jednootworowy

portal wróżbiarski (Friday, 25 November 2016 08:28)

żarliwość

seks telefony (Tuesday, 29 November 2016 19:36)

nienawiedziona

love rite (Thursday, 01 December 2016 00:57)

esowy

free tarot reading uk (Thursday, 15 December 2016 16:02)

congo

sex telefon 24/7 (Monday, 19 December 2016 10:49)

blackness

sprawdzony sex telefon (Wednesday, 11 January 2017 21:51)

irredentystyczny

love spellcaster (Thursday, 02 February 2017 16:58)

niemnącego

rytuał miłosny (Monday, 10 April 2017 09:34)

rytuał miłosny