Interview with Pat Shand - Charmed Season 10 #17 (SPOILERS)

Under the cut you can read my interview with Pat Shand talking about #17!

The interview contains spoilers.

Click "Read More" below to continue.

INTERVIEW

Charmed Comic Fan: While her charges are making the magical effigy, Paige says that it represents their inner spirit and source of their power. Tyler’s looks in pain, as Aidel says. While Tyler is not seeing anything wrong in it, is how the effigy turned out looking like coming from the emotional damage that he went through while he was possessed?

Pat Shand: Definitely. Tyler is in a good place right now, it seems, with a great boyfriend in Kareem, a strong mentor in Paige, and a good friend in Aidel. But his effigy, which does seem to be in pain, speaks to some deeper damage. However, it’s definitely up to interpretation – is that pain, or is it maybe a cry of victory? A rebellious battle cry? We could leave that to the reader.

Charmed Comic Fan: The effigy is also meant to represent Prue, right? The one that got the short end of the stick to say the least.

Pat: Yeah, in some ways. The entire concept of the effigies was created to parallel Prue. The idea of something else putting its fingerprint on her, molding her into something not quite it, not quite her, but parts of both.

Charmed Comic Fan: Something that clicked to me while reading the issue is that what Ben is describing about himself trying to understand where he begins and Cole ends might also apply to what is happening to Prue. One moment Prue sounds like Prue then she is saying she is older than time itself which sounds like Heremus. Is there any parallel to be drawn between their cases?

Pat: Yeah, Ben also parallels Prue’s situation here. It’s interesting, because I’ve seen folks mention that because Ben and Kyra are off on their own for now, that they don’t know why their ‘subplot’ is a focus. The Ben/Kyra storyline isn’t a subplot, though, that’s straight up plot, that’s the A-Story. Their situation is inextricable from Prue’s. You’ll see soon how tied together they are.

Charmed Comic Fan: A lingering question through the season is why Prue put Ben in Cole’s body. Is why she did it connected to her own relationship with her father?

Pat: There might be an emotional parallel there, but the reason she did it is a very specific plot point that I can’t really get into yet. Once you guys know that, you basically have the key to the rest of the season.

Again, though, I’ve said this a bunch, but this season isn’t a mystery. There are some mysterious aspects, like Ben being in Cole’s body, but the overall story isn’t meant to leave readers guessing or to shock people. Charmed has never been about that, and it’s frankly not something I care about. I care about telling the best and most emotionally relevant story possible – and the key to I think understanding where we’re going lies within Ben’s role in Prue’s overall plan. Everyone is still in “Prue’s going to die!” mode, but there is still something vital about Prue that no one knows yet.

Charmed Comic Fan: Paige and Henry are back together! While to their knowledge at that time the Big Bad is defeated and everything is ok, Paige being a Charmed One and always putting her family in danger is not going to stop anytime soon. What’s stopping them from returning to the same problem when the next threat appears?

Pat: Exactly.

Charmed Comic Fan: What did Prue mean when she said the Old Ones “are in our hearts”?

Pat: I didn’t come out and have her say it, but think about what she did the last time she was in a room with magical children. She planted the seeds of the Old Ones in their hearts – the Aldar Kose plan. If Phoebe hadn’t gotten there, something really bad might have happened.

Charmed Comic Fan: The whole scene of Prue trying to kill Phoebe with the Athame for me is one of the scariest moments ever. Her reason is that she thinks Phoebe didn’t mourn her. Is her bigger problem with Phoebe and does she feel the same about Piper?

Pat: No, she definitely doesn’t feel the same about Piper. However, that doesn’t mean that she wouldn’t kill Piper. Look at Prue’s logic in this issue. She tries to kill Victor for not visiting her, and she tried to kill Phoebe for “not mourning her.” I’d say these are both pretty drastic reactions, right? There is a lot of Prue’s angst and depression at the root of these decisions, but let’s face it – that’s something that, on any given Wednesday, you wouldn’t expect Prue Halliwell to do, right? All of the moves she makes will come from that place of deep seeded fear and resentment, but her sense of the right thing to do is obviously warped.

Charmed Comic Fan: In the summary of the issue we saw the question “will the Charmed Ones stand on the side of good or evil?”, which is something we didn’t see play out in #17. Is this a decision the Charmed Ones will encounter soon?

Pat: I’m very, very careful about the way I write the solicits. I can’t clarify any of that.

Charmed Comic Fan: Tyler sent Prue somewhere that will be hard for her to come back, something that sounds too good to be true considering Prue’s power. Any hints as to where he sent her?

Pat: No, I didn’t really think it mattered. We’ll see the place next time, but it’s a pocket reality that we don’t give a name.

Charmed Comic Fan: Story arc 3 complete! With 1 more story arc left what are we in for in these last 5 issues?

Pat: A homecoming party, Darryl, a character from Social Medium (which I thought would be out right now, but I don’t know the schedule!), maybe some bad news, and then, at the end, some shit with a door.

Charmed Comic Fan: Thank you very much, Pat!

Pat: Thank YOU!

______________________________

You can follow Pat on Twitter and Tumblr.

Scott21 (Saturday, 12 March 2016 22:41)

So there wont be a post about the delay? :(

Henry (Sunday, 13 March 2016 11:02)

I was thinking the same :( I have a bad feeling.. I hoped in season 11 (especially because Pat said he'd like to write it) but now I hope to see at least the end of this beautiful season

Scott21 (Sunday, 13 March 2016 11:23)

I think we will but maybe in a novel form next year :(

Charmingcharmed (Sunday, 13 March 2016 11:28)

I think this is totally the fault of zenescope- if u read pats posts he loves cbs - zenescope i bet had some money problems or some contract problems

Scott21 (Sunday, 13 March 2016 12:19)

But Pat also asked us not to blame anyone... We should respect that. Zenescope is a profit oriented company, the sales unfortunately not good, so maybe they simply cant afford to print something that only a few people read it's sad but we can't blame a company for trying to cut down the loss without sending off workers.

Henry (Sunday, 13 March 2016 14:04)

I don't know how comic companies work, but I really hope that Charmed Season 10 will be ended in comic form.. It would be unprofessional, in my opinion.. I'm waiting for this final arc since the beginning.. For now everything has been fine.. Excellent story, amazing art.. Even the schedule has been respected.. I hope next week we'll have good news.. Do you know if someone has asked zenescope about this delay?

41eugoR (Sunday, 13 March 2016 16:12)

Wait which issue is delayed? Cause if it's 18 I'll probably not survive. Okay I won't survive later issues delay also but c'mon there are only a few (5?) issues left. Can't they let them be printed in peace and do the cancelation or whatever after season 10 is over?

fxrocks (Monday, 14 March 2016 13:16)

Everyone needs to buy the latest issue so we blow up the sales and show that we really care about the comics. I only buy volumes but I think I'm going to make an exception!

Charmedcomicfan10 (Thursday, 17 March 2016 20:45)

I'll only be posting once a month in the site from now and on with the news of the month in one collected post. But I'll be posting the latest news on twitter frequently.

Henry (Monday, 21 March 2016 12:42)

I don't understand. Charmed fans are thousands around the world and Pat keeps receiving hundreds of messages about Charmed comic so people know about its existence. Charmed Season Ten should be Zenescope comic best selling EVER!! On Comixology prices are contained, so I do not think that's the problem. Perhaps people prefer to wait for Volumes or for the pirated copy but in this way we are KILLING Charmed! Please, let's do something! Let's increase sales for the next issue. Let's see to Zenescope how much we love this comic.

41eugoR (Monday, 21 March 2016 16:29)

Comics are so new to me so I didn't know much about volume until everyone mentioned it here. And yeah gotta say it is attractive to read a number of issues instead of one by one each month. Similar to how watching whole season of a show is rather than week by week then a hiatus :-( If long delay means we are about to get a volume of issues 18-22 then okay. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want monthly issues released now.

v-girl (Monday, 21 March 2016 20:22)

Season 9 did far better in volumes too.
    It shouldn't really matter if people prefer volumes over individual issues. Separate issues are often tougher to get hold of. That's often the case, you don't get series being cancelled because of it.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with sales anyway. I mean it'd be pretty counterproductive if it did, since delaying issues will only make the series harder for people to follow.

Don't forget guys, we had 10 times as many problems like this with season 9. Issues were constantly being delayed or put on hiatus etc.
    Season 10 has been running very smoothly for the most part; so a hiatus at this stage doesn't trouble me too much.

TomTom (Wednesday, 23 March 2016 17:50)

Hm...I prefer volumes by far. But I'm from Germany and it's simply cheaper for me to buy it this way than one by one. I hope Zenescope won't let us down and will complete season 10. The fanbase's still enormous.

Henry (Thursday, 24 March 2016 12:11)

@TomTom: you're right.. I'm from Italy and I prefer volume, too but with comixology it's easier to buy single issues..
    @v-girl: Instead I think that's all about sales.. Maybe zenescope is waiting for issue 18.. We can try to help buying next issue on comixology

v-girl (Friday, 25 March 2016 14:16)

Well, like I said, if it IS due to sales, then this course of action seems incredibly counterproductive, as it just makes the series harder to follow. Sales might be poor, but it's basically a question of "would you rather make less money, or no money at all?"

If you're right, then maybe they're waiting for the next two volumes to come out. It seems odd that they're being released so close together, but maybe all this has something to do with it.

v-girl (Friday, 25 March 2016 14:23)

....And again, I point out how much of this we had with season 9.
    I believe all the delays, hiatuses etc. added up to about 5 months without new comics.

Cara Mengobati Impotensi Secara Herbal (Monday, 08 August 2016 11:27)

continue to work and make as many articles for others to read and benefit from it. thank you

Cara berhubungan badan agar wanita tidak hamil (Thursday, 13 October 2016 10:42)

thanks for sharing! I did not know the ARE IN model. Seems useful to me

Cara mengobati Oligospermia secara Herbal (Friday, 11 November 2016 03:32)

thank u so much admin and sorry permission share :)

wróżki (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 10:17)

lumpiness

seks linia (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 15:19)

naodkładać sekstelefon

psychic reading (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 20:04)

parlance psychic

how to avoid divorce (Wednesday, 16 November 2016 18:12)

endomorphisms rescue

Przejdź do strony (Thursday, 17 November 2016 20:25)

JKMcią

text a psychic (Wednesday, 14 December 2016 17:00)

pestle

seks telefon (Monday, 19 December 2016 22:38)

gratings

Cara Mengatasi Buah Zakar Besar Sebelah (Wednesday, 21 December 2016 10:26)

I understand about an article thanks

sex telefon 24/7 (Monday, 16 January 2017 10:05)

niebrany

Carry Tubb (Sunday, 22 January 2017 16:02)

I'm pretty pleased to uncover this site. I wanted to thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every part of it and I have you saved as a favorite to see new stuff on your blog.

rytuał miłosny (Monday, 10 April 2017 13:05)

rytuał miłosny

how to pass a job interview (Saturday, 15 April 2017 17:44)

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.