Interview with Pat Shand - Charmed Season 10 #7 (SPOILERS)

Charmed #7 is out today!

Under the cut you can read my interview with Pat Shand talking about the events of the issue.

Please note that the interview contains spoilers.

Click "Read More" below to continue.

INTERVIEW

CCF10: I find it ironic that Leo got more info about the Ancient Athame by making a soul agreement. If an agreement isn’t fulfilled, does the person just die or is the soul gone too?

PAT SHAND: The only way to destroy a soul is the Ancient Athame. If Leo violated the agreement, his soul would’ve simply been removed from his body. Whether or not the soul is then allowed to pass on to the afterlife is up to the individual who now has said soul. To pop culture it up a bit, I was thinking of a mix between the crossroads demon’s deals from Supernatural and the Unbreakable Vow from Harry Potter. Since Leo obviously doesn’t die in this issue, we didn’t show the full extent of the mythology behind the soul agreement, but I’m pretty fond of it. Might want to come back to it, even…

CCF10: Hypothetically, without being vanquished (as we saw with Gaxageal in #1), will the vassal of an Old One’s soul perish after a period of time?

PAT SHAND: I’d say it depends on how powerful the host is. However, if a body begins to decompose or reject the possession, I’d think someone as powerful as Aldar Kose could reverse both of those things.

CCF10: Was Aldar Kose’s plan to use the Academy’s students (who I assume are not powerful enough to sustain an Old One) a temporary way to bring back the Old Ones in order to defeat the Charmed Ones?

PAT SHAND: Yes.

CCF10: Is there more to discover about Aldar Kose? Is he gone for good?

PAT SHAND: He’s dead, but actions as loud as his have echos.

CCF10: Piper finally accepts her life and all the dangers it comes with. Can you talk to us about her coming to terms with it?

PAT SHAND: It was initially going to be her longterm character arc this season, but it just felt like such a long time coming. I was writing the scene with her and Leo at the end, and I realized that I didn’t need to take Piper in that direction… she was already there.

CCF10: Can you explain how Leo is safe from the soul agreement? Shouldn’t Leo die when Knox died?

PAT SHAND: No, I think that Knox’s guidelines were specific here. Leo gets the Charmed Ones to help, and he did. Knox saw a way out, and he took it. He’s not a malicious being, so he wouldn’t leap to his death knowingly taking Leo for no reason. The end goal – the Charmed Ones assisting him by helping save his students – was met.

CCF10: Is Gaxageal in the body of Knox now? We saw not just one but a lot of seeds being planted on him.

PAT SHAND: I’m comfortable with you knowing no more than what you saw in the comic on that front. Time will tell!

CCF10: Volume 1 is out next week. How does it feel to have your first Charmed story completed especially since you’ve been waiting 2+ years to start telling it?

PAT SHAND: It feels great. Single issues are the lifeblood of the comics industry, but I’d be a liar if I didn’t say that holding a trade wasn’t a singularly thrilling experience. I love the format, and I love the idea that it’s going to reach more people than the single issues. Because, let’s face it – Charmed fans aren’t showing up in comic shops. There’s just not much crossover between the original fanbase and folks who know we’re doing comics. But bookstores? That’s where Season Ten will clean up.

CCF10: What are you most proud of so far writing this comic and is there anything you would have done differently?

PAT SHAND: Yeah, I mean, there’s always something I’d do differently. That’s in every series that I do. But you know, the work is out there, and I stand by it. I’m pretty proud of it all… especially the Cole storyline and the Prue storyline. I also like Murray. “Remember Murray” will never not make me smile.

CCF10: You’ve mentioned you have considered adding some extras in the volume. Should we be expecting any surprises in it next week?

PAT SHAND: Unfortunately not. They just put in a preview of #7. Alas.

CCF10: The new arc starts next month. In a small sentence, or phrase or word (anything you want): what is coming next (and should we be afraid?)

PAT SHAND: What’s coming next… revelations, returns, and changes. Should you be afraid? I mean, come on. You saw what I did five issues in. If you’re not afraid of this season by now, I’ve failed you.

CCF10: Thank you, Pat!

PAT SHAND: Thank you!

You can find Pat on Twitter and Tumblr.

Julie (Thursday, 23 April 2015 15:08)

You know I hate you for killing Cole again Pat.

LeoVzla (Thursday, 23 April 2015 20:11)

Pat's right, if he killed Cole again he can do anything else as huge as that... I really like the way he's taking the Issue so far, can't wait for the next story arc

Barron (Friday, 24 April 2015 03:56)

I still don't like the fact he killed Cole again, but I've accepted it. I just feel the season would've been better off if someone else was killed off.

p3nathan (Friday, 24 April 2015 13:18)

He's only been gone two issues (could argue one given the flashback). He wasn't even in season nine for the first 8, how on earth did people survive? o_O

I like how regularly Pat does interviews. It's cool how much he seems to enjoy communicating with the fandom. That's always nice to see.

LeoVzla (Friday, 24 April 2015 14:02)

P3nathan I think is because they didn't know he would be back, personally I'm over that because he was really gone in season 5 and I never heard anyone's argument because of it.

p3nathan (Friday, 24 April 2015 17:25)

Exactly. The TV show left the guy in a void between life and death (not exactly a happy ending) yet very few people moaned about that. But then I guess it's more fulfilling yelling at Pat, since unlike Brad Kern, he'll actually take the time to listen.

Barron (Saturday, 25 April 2015 20:36)

Tbqh, I've seen many people talk about how they were unhappy how Cole's story ended in season 5. And there's been plenty of people that were angry that Cole didn't get any kind of happy ending because he was stuck between life and death. And we can't help but be mad that Cole's gone...AGAIN. We didn't even expect Cole to come back, let alone Prue. I think when Cole was brought back into the picture, he should've stayed. Having him die that way and basically no longer exist wasn't fair to him. The fact is people are still angry about it and we are going to be for a while. We'll eventually get over it, but it's going to take some time.

p3nathan (Saturday, 25 April 2015 21:50)

Centennial Charmed- Dead. Everyone hates him. Only Paige saw him die.

Charmed Assault: Dead. Everyone is friends with him. He dies a hero.

Take your pick.

Seriously, the guy spent over a century gleefully murdering innocent people, how happy an ending do u seriously expect? Oh he helped the Charmed Ones for a few years. Oh well, open the gates of heaven for Mr. Turner everybody.

p3nathan (Sunday, 26 April 2015 16:33)

And what on earth does "fair" have to do with any of it?

I know people would have been far happier for Coop to be stabbed, many have openly admitted that more than once... but would that have been fair??
    Fair for Coop (a guy who's never hurt anyone, lest we forget) to lose his life; fair for Phoebe to lose her husband; fair for PJ and Parker to lose their father? Of course it wouldn't! Let’s not pretend this is about fairness when so many people have plainly stated that that's what they would have preferred to see.

Whoever got stabbed (excluding Valen himself), what about the ancient athame was ever fair? o_O

Some might argue that it's not particularly "fair" for a person responsible for the deaths of many innocent people to get not one, not two, but THREE opportunities at life... yet that's what Cole got. In the end, he'll be remembered for the good he did and his sacrifice; regardless of how much the bad may outweigh it, because his last actions were a testament to how far he'd come.
    All things considered, I think the guy had a damn good run and then some!

seks telefony (Tuesday, 17 January 2017 03:55)

niekoncertowanie